Thursday, July 22, 2010

Check Mate







Well, I was initially going to recreate the Julian Casablancas chess board leather jacket with this cool white denim motorcycle jacket my step mom found at this place called, Brooklyn Industries.

Unfortunately, my inner frugality came out when I thought that spending $94 on a piece of denim was too much.

I'm really glad that I didn't spend any money on this shirt because it was not that easy.

I used some fabric paint to paint the stencil on the shirt and good gracious, that stuff RUNS.

You can't see it from the pictures but there are a few spots where my lines are not perfect.

My step mom claims that this is due to the fact that whilst painting my shirt, I was distracted with CollegeHumor but I beg to differ.

Anyway, the Strokes' obsessing has officially commenced (once again).

I mean, they are just too amazing for words.

For the shirt:

This is only a little bit pointless for me to tell you how to paint a shirt but it makes me feel crafty, so I'll do it anyway!

I drew a stencil on the t-shirt (€4 pimkie) then I put the shirt over a metal cookie sheet with a paper bag taped onto it (so that the paint wouldn't stain my cooking materials, DUH) and then started to paint the stencils in with basic, black fabric paint.

I went over it a couple of times to make sure it went all the way through, but that was a mistake because then the paper bag I had underneath it stuck to the shirt and I had to peel off a bunch of paper once it was all done.

Anyway, now it's done and there's no going back.

I'm planning on buying some more fabric paint when I get back to Houston and getting another white t-shirt from Goodwill and making a new version of the shirt so that it won't be so, um, uh, eh... shitty?

I'll letcha know.

2 comments: